Sunday, November 17, 2013

Trip to Uganda -- Part 1

It's been quite awhile since I've had the time to add more posts to this, my second blog, as I've spent most of what little time I have to the first one, Ivegotconfidence.  Subsequently, you have missed out on some very interesting and exciting "stuff" that I've been sharing on my Wordpress blog (http://ivegotconfidence.com/) that I would now like to share with those of you who enjoy IvegotconfidenceTwo.  Please feel free to access the other blog for many other photos and a blow by blow, day to day description of life in Uganda.

My dear friend Judy, an old friend of many, many years, was able through an incredible coincidence and opportunity travel to Uganda to meet and share her love of Christ with orphans, school children, parents and caretakers, and partake of the life that is Ugandan for the month of October.  Although I was able to share much of her trip through her Facebook posts, photos taken by her hosts and others, and emails, she is now home and able to write down all of her thoughts and feelings and share her own pictures of her trip.  This is the beginning of her accounting of an incredible, eventful, and at times unnerving trip to a land very far away from our beloved America.

The photos below are of the people she traveled with and the wonderful people with whom she stayed and lived with for a month ... and yes, the children, so precious!

"Hi again!

As time permits I am going to write up my whole adventure and send photos as well. These first pics are of our travel and first visit with the children. Not all of the children pictured are orphans. Some attend the school that is associated with the Twinumjuni Children's Home. I hope you enjoy my account about this life changing and wonderful opportunity to serve God in a small way in a very needy nation. It was a great honor to live in an African home and experience life on a day to day basis out of my comfort zone. Again I say, we are blessed to live in America. On landing in Washington DC I wanted to fall down and kiss the ground. Everything looked sparkly clean, the customs agents were friendly and respectful and business took place in an orderly fashion. And I found real food to eat!!
Picture #1 is of Halina Muller, Rick and April Dobbs and myself at SMF, #2 is in Brussels, #3 is in Kigali, RW, #4 is the Dream Apple Motel in Kigali with the Dodds, #4 is downtown in Kigali and the rest are of the children.

More to come, Judy 
 

 

At the beginning of my journey……God answers a cry for help!

It’s time to board the plane for Washington DC! I am on my way to Uganda!! At last, I am soon to become a world traveler. Oh no, there is a glitch. The baggage compartments are full and I am told to give up my carryon. What?! This can’t be. I am going to Africa and all of my emergency and essential items are packed in this small bag. Besides my purse/bag carryon is stuffed already and I cannot squeeze in another item. The United Airlines staff tells me to take out what I absolutely need. That’s everything. I pull out my blanket and blowup pillow and try to think, what else might I need if my other baggage does not come through. My mind is blank; they tell me to hurry up. The tears fill my eyes and I say to myself, please God, help! Out of my mouth pops these words, “but I am going all the way to Africa!!” I hear a quiet discussion amongst the workers and then a friendly smiling man says, “You can keep your carryon and we’ll find room!” And they do. Many thanks to my God!! As always He is so good. My friends however give up their suitcase and do not see it again until Africa."

 










No comments:

Post a Comment